Thursday, September 22, 2011

              I almost thought I wasn't going to do this today but I am.  What would I have done if I didn't?  I read all of Strunk and White's book and I'm trying to implement as many of the advice as possible.  You can tell that I read it.  I'm being authoritative (author) and direct.  Notice how I didn't say "more direct", just direct.
            Conan O'Brien has a giant vein under his eye.  Now I feel better about my giant forehead vein, atleast it hasn't reached my eye yet.  For the record, the "Keep On Top" option on VLC revolutionizes computers.  Damn it I'm being vague.  Luckily, I'm not describing anything important.  Also, Conan is violent. 
            I think describing every mundane task I trick myself into doing in as much detail as possible is a great writing exercise.  According to Strunk and White the most important part of my sentences should go either at the beginning or end of the passage.  You won't get all of that ordinary, boring descriptive nonsense; I'll write it in a shitty little journal next to my bed.
           You can't intrinsically be better than other people, you have to produce something to prove it.  Like showing clearance at an airport.  But, I'm violating a couple of Strunk and White's laws there.  Can't editorialize too much.  If you hate cats and the guy from the cat hospital asks you to come, you can politely deny the invitation without being transparent about your opinions.  Conan said to act "as if" at all times, which is as if everything is always going fine.  I should start doing that in real life. 
           Writing has been pretty good.  I'm getting less scared of portraying other people in my writing.  No bullshit, my story started as a guy on a desert island.  That represents the part of my personality that doesn't want to have to talk to or interact with people at any point.  Yet I work retail.  Yet is always better than some other word.  I forget what word it is, Mr. Strunk.  But, if I use "yet" as much as possible, I can't lose.  I'm too conscious of punctuation now.
          See me tomorrow, Bloggo.  I better see some improvement in this blog over time.

No comments:

Post a Comment